Health Care & Benefits Division

Alternative Coverage Options Under 65

If you are not eligible for Medicare, you may be able to get coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace that costs less than State of Montana retiree coverage.  

Health Insurance Marketplace 
The Marketplace offers “one-stop shopping” to find and compare most private health insurance options.  
You can access the Montana Marketplace at  
Through the Marketplace you:

  • You might be eligible for a tax credit that lowers your monthly premiums and offers cost-sharing reductions.
  • You can see what your premium, deductibles, and out-of-pocket costs will be before you make a decision to enroll. 
  • You can learn if you qualify for free or low-cost coverage from Medicaid. 


Being offered State of Montana retiree coverage won’t limit your eligibility for coverage or for a possible tax credit through the Health Insurance Marketplace. However, you must plan to disenroll from the State Plan before you begin to receive premium tax credits.  You should consult with a professional assister (see below) or insurance agent about this process.

Contact an Expert for FREE

  • Certified Insurance Agents or Certified Exchange Producers (CEPs) are registered Montana Insurance Agents who have taken special training to understand the Marketplace. CEPs are found throughout the state.   
  • Certified Application Counselors (CACs) Certified Application Counselors (CACs) are health care provider staff who have been trained to help people understand, apply for and enroll in insurance coverage through the Marketplace. You will find these individuals in hospitals and community health centers throughout the state. 
  • Navigators are public advisors who help people compare the health insurance options in the new Marketplace website. Navigators have taken federal and state training and have been fingerprinted and undergone a Montana background check.  

Note: You should consult only with agents and assisters who are certified by the Montana Insurance Commissioner.  

A list of these experts can be found at:
Web: Scroll down to see contact lists for Navigators, CACs, and agents in your area.
Call: The Office of the Commissioner of Securities and Insurance 1-800-332-6148 


Hi, I can help answer your questions!