New Legislator Enrollment
Healthcare benefits are a large part of your compensation, and some benefits can only be guaranteed if you enroll within your initial enrollment period the first 31 days of State employment or eligibility. You can choose to have your coverage effective on your date of hire or the first day of the pay period following receipt of the form in the Benefits Division. You can expect to receive medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug identification cards within six weeks of returning your forms. Please contact HCBD at (406) 444-7462, (800) 287-8266, or TTY (406) 444-1421 if you need to receive treatment prior to receipt of your identification cards.
If you are eligible and choose to participate in the benefits package offered by the State of Montana, you will receive an employer contribution (state share credit) each month toward your benefit costs. All legislators who wish to participate must enroll in the Core Benefits:
- One of the medical plans (Choice or Classic)
- One of the dental plans (Basic or Premium)
- Basic Life Insurance ($14,000)
There are optional benefits you may choose in addition to core benefits:
- Medical and/or Dental Coverage for dependents
- Vision Coverage
- Additional Life Insurance for you and/or your dependents
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Coverage
- Long Term Care Insurance
How to Enroll
Complete the forms listed below. All forms are available on this website.
- For Medical, Dental, Vision, and the Pre-tax Plan election complete the State of Montana Employee Group Benefits Plan Enrollment/Change Form.
- For Life Insurance and AD&D complete the Standard Life Insurance Co. Enrollment/Change form.
- To enroll in Long Term Care Insurance, complete the Long Term Care Enrollment Form.
All forms must be returned to:
As a legislator, you have two options to waive coverage. You can:
- Waive participation in the group coverage and receipt of the state contribution, or
- Waive coverage and apply the state contribution to other health coverage.
Waive Participation in the Group Coverage
If you choose to waive coverage and do not wish to participate in the group healthcare benefits offered, please check the WAIVER of Coverage box located toward the top of the Employee Group Benefits Plan Enrollment/Change Form.
Waive Coverage and Apply the State Contribution to Other Health Coverage
If you choose to waive coverage and apply the state contribution to other coverage, you must complete the Option 2 Healthcare Benefits Election Form and provide documentation from your healthcare benefits provider of your out-of-pocket costs. These payments are sent to you directly at the beginning of each month.
For additional information refer to the New Legislator Benefits booklet.