Resources for Self-Driven Health
For those of you who like to do your own research or want to supplement your other healthy lifestyle choices or changes-we are pleased to present some examples of reliable resources for self-driven health! The Web sites below are for information only and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. As always, you should consult with your health care provider before making any changes.
"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness." - Edward Stanley
Upcoming Lunch N Learns
Recorded Lunch N Learns
These are recorded Lunch & Learn presentations from your SOMHELP wellness program. Please make sure your computer speakers are turned up.
- The 9 Visual Rules of Wellness
- Holiday Strategies
- Bear Aware & Dressing for Your Adventure
- Great Physical Activity to Change Your Life and How to Really Use a Pedometer. If you are interested in only the pedometer recording, just skip ahead to 30 minutes once you have clicked on the link.
- Owner of a Healthy Heart
- Depression-Beat the Blues
- Cardiovascular Disease-Reducing Risk
- Diabetes Prevention and Management,
- Risky Driving and your teens
These programs have been proven effective in preventing disease progression in those at risk, and are low or no cost, depending on your location. The programs are locally based, so contact the program of your choice for more information. Don't miss out on this great opportunity to improve YOUR health! The programs are offered in many different Montana locations, with more added often. Check out all the locations and contac the program of your choice for details.
The following are links provided by outside sources and are not intended to replace advice from your doctor. Always be careful about any advice you choose to follow, and make sure all your questions are answered.
- USDA Super Tracker
- Calorie Count - Free Nutrition Data on More than 200,000 Foods, plus enter your own recipes.
- Fat Secret - Keep a food log, track calories and nutrients, partner up and discover recipes.
- Food and Fitness Tracker - A free food and fitness log and planner for your pocket or purse.
- Well with Blue
- Spark People
- State of Montana Employee Discounts for Gym Memberships-in addition to what is listed here-most clubs will provide a discount to State employees upon request.
- Capitol 1-mile walking map
- Cubicle Yoga
- Healthwise Knowledgebase: Search Health Topics from A-Z
- State Of Montana Employee Benefit Health Plan Information
- Grocery Shopping Made Easy
- American Dietetic Association
- http://www.WebMD.com - Reliable source for your medical questions
- http://www.smallstep.gov/index.html - Small steps to healthier living
- http://www.healthfinder.gov - Guide to reliable health information
- http://www.realage.com/ - Health information to live healthier and younger
- http://www.medicinenet.com - Medical information for consumers
- Health Success Story
- Goal Setting - A tool to set your health or wellness goal today!
- http://www.mypyramid.gov - Plan and assess your food choices
- Keep the Beat - Recipes for a Healthy Heart. FREE recipe books and more!
- http://www.cookinglight.com - Cooking and Exercise
- Antipasto Kabobs
- Fish Tacos
- Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips
- Fruit Salad
- Mango Breakfast Parfait
- Mediterranean Quinoa
- Mexican Baked Eggs
- Parmesean Crusted Baked Zucchini
- Sesame Orange Beef
- Southwest Chicken and Black Bean soup
- Spinach, Sausage and White Bean Soup
- Sweet Potato Hummus
- Tilapia with tomatoes and Beans
- Vegetarian Tostada
- White Bean and tomato Bruschetta
- Eat Right Montana
- Breastfeeding Resources & Support
- Montana Dietetic Association
- Cardiovascular & Diabetes Prevention Blog
- Montana Worksite Health Promotion Coalition
- Employee Discounts
- Cancer Questions?
- Telebuddy Of Montana - Breast self-exam reminders and breast cancer information
- Worksite Healthy Eating Guidelines